We are delighted to announce our TressFX 4.1/Unreal® Engine integration and our TressFX 4.1/Radeon™ Cauldron framework implementation. The TressFX library is AMD’s hair/fur rendering and simulation technology. TressFX is designed to use the GPU to simulate and render high quality realistic hair and fur.
This latest version – TressFX 4.1 – is designed to be a performance and feature enhancement of TressFX 4.0. Highlights include further optimization of the physics simulation shaders, new rendering features, documentation and tutorials, and an updated TressFX Exporter for Autodesk® Maya®.
This release also demonstrates TressFX integration with Unreal Engine (4.22). This is a minimal integration to improve ease-of-use with multiple TressFX components, features, and rendering and simulation materials. Developers wishing to further the integration or customize it for their own requirements may find this basic level of integration a helpful first step in that process.
TressFX/Radeon™ Cauldron demonstrates how TressFX can be cleanly dropped into an existing codebase.
- Hair and fur support, designed for high quality anti-aliasing
- Animation/skinning support
- Unreal Engine (4.22) integration
- TressFX/Cauldron implementation (source code)
- Maya plugin provided for hair/fur and collision authoring
- Source code provided
New in TressFX 4.1
- TressFX/Unreal engine integration (patch under Epic Games Unreal GitHub repository) with multiple components, rendering and simulation material support
- TressFX/Cauldron implementation with source code (DirectX® 12 and Vulkan®)
- Optimized physics simulation shaders can allow more hair to be simulated in real-time
- New rendering features (StrandUV and Hair Parameter Blending)
- New Level of Detail (LOD) system
- Documentation and tutorials
- Updated Maya Exporter with new UI and new features/error checking
- AMD Radeon™ GCN-based GPU (HD 7000 series or newer) or AMD Radeon™ RDNA-based GPU (5000 series or newer)
- Or other DirectX® 11/12 compatible discrete GPU with Shader Model 5 support
- 64-bit Windows 10
- Visual Studio 2017 or equivalent recommended
TressFX/Unreal Engine integration is available as a patch on Epic Games Unreal Engine GitHub repository. Developers will need to sign the Epic Unreal EULA in order to gain access to Epic Games Unreal Engine GitHub repository.
Unreal Engine Resources
- TressFX patch on Epic Unreal (requires access to the Epic Games Unreal Engine GitHub repository)